Monday, October 1, 2012

Andaman Sojourn : Where Blue is Beautiful !


Onto Day 2, and this is where the actual fun begins. Lineup for the day – Mahatma Gandhi National Park -> Red Skin Island.  And also an awesomatic lunch.

Mahatma Gandhi National Park was around an hour’s drive from our base.  After a hurried breakfast (Thanks to an inevitable delay in getting ready), we set off on our adventures for the day. We were taken to a jetty from where we took a ferry to the Red Skin Island which was a one hour long journey. The ferry ride was fun, our eyes feasted on some serene views of the backwaters and mangroves (That is what I think it was). I was half expecting a crocodile to turn up but alas! It was not to be.

When I said serene, this is what I meant !!
We were taken in a glass bottom boat, from the launch to the island. Being glass bottom, we could also see some corals and fishes. Yes, some of the corals were red in colour, though not sure if they were enough to name an island after it. If I had my way, I would name it Green trees Island, as that’s what dominated the terrain there.

Snorkeling , now that was something I really wanted to do, and it was finally showtime . Our boat tickets, included a round of snorkeling.  I was given a mask, and I went along with a guide of course (Damn, why don’t I learn swimming). And, IT WAS BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL. Beneath the blue waters, It looks like a completely different world. One that is serene, picturesque, peaceful and I can go on with the adjectives and it still wouldn't do justice to the panorama . The tranquility found under water is definitely unmatched. Being able to touch the extremely smooth corals and fish gave me Goosebumps.  The experience for me was just WOW.

So, after spending some more time in the water, we were headed back to Mahatma Gandhi National Park, near which we had the most fabulous lunch in a dhaba. Back to base, freshened up , took a walk to nearby market, did some shopping, dinner , sleep. A tiring ,yet fulfilling day was done with.

PS : The snorkeling experience was way more beautiful than I have put in words here. Unfortunately, I have still a long way to go before I become “Javed Akhtar” enough to bring out the beauty through words :D

No comments:

Post a Comment